Rihanna won the American Music Award


Rihanna won the American Music Award for favorite female soul/R&B artist in Los Angeles Sunday night.

Singer-actor Jamie Foxx presented the recording artist with the first prize of the evening. Rihanna beat out Alicia Keys and Mary J. Blige for the honor.

"This is the first year, I guess, the fans got to vote, so thank you mainly to my fans who voted for me," Rihanna said upon accepting her statuette.

She won the AMA in the same category last year.

"Now I'm holding another AMA, which I'm very proud of," she said.

Keys won the award for favorite soul/R&B album for her CD "As I Am." Also nominated were Mariah Carey's "E=MC2" and Blige's "Growing Pains."

Comedian Jimmy Kimmel was the host of the award presentation, which took place at the Nokia Theatre in Hollywood.

Pop star Christina Aguilera opened the show with a medley of some of her greatest hits.